Smart Maintenance System Implementation for New Builds9 February, 2021
By Vitalii Yeliashevskyi, Senior Engineer
A common mistake in the implementation of maintenance systems for asset-intensive industries is it being treated as a pure IT project. Oftentimes, only a few or no technical people with domain knowledge of the asset maintenance processes and hands-on experience are involved. As a result, the usage of the maintenance system causes a lot of frustration among the operation personnel. To make matters worse, the system becomes filled with inconsistencies, which requires further continuous cleansing.
While the Oil & Gas industry is continuously facing issues with the oil price, drilling companies have a unique possibility to buy an almost finished drilling rig/support vessel or any other maritime vessel at a shipyard at a much lower price compared to the price five years ago.
To put this rig/vessel into operation, it is required to have an asset maintenance system in place, which means:
- The data must be specific to the asset configuration;
- Maintenance setup must be compliant with the relevant legislation;
- Maintenance must be specific to the equipment type and model;
- The spare parts must be registered correctly and assigned to the proper objects;
Usually, the first three steps take a huge amount of time and human effort to put this puzzle together and set the rig up and running.
However, here is a smarter way, which saves approximately 50%-60% of the time required to prepare the asset maintenance system for operation. Here are these steps:
- Create a Reference asset hierarchy;
- Create a Maintenance library linked to the reference asset hierarchy;
Having done this, the process comes down to only comparing the asset configuration to the reference hierarchy and then choosing the right maintenance from the library.
Work smarter, not harder!
- Unlocking the Power of Data Governance: Overcoming Challenges and Maximizing Potential
- Unleashing Efficiency: A Cutting-Edge Approach to Offshore Drilling Rig Maintenance
- RDS-PP Implementation – Are you lost in transition?
- RDS-PP implementation statistics￼
- Effective Linear Asset Management: How Keel Solution Can Help
Oil and Gas Asset Data Management
Harness the technology advancements and incorporate the Industry 4.0 into your Oil&Gas businessMore
Windpower Competency Center
Opening the door of Industry 4.0 possibilitiesMore
We are ready to help!
Request consultation, ask a question or share your feedback. Just get in touch!